Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer Sweater Knit-A-Long: The Barney Effect

My Peterborough cardigan for the luvinthemommyhood Summer Sweater Knit-A-Long is complete!!  I worked overtime during the Labor Day weekend to get it seamed and finished :)

 I'm really happy with the final result of all the modifications I did to the pattern.  There's only two things I might change if I were to do it again:

1.  The finished sweater is a bit big in the hip area.  I lost some weight this spring, but used my old measurements when selecting the size of this sweater.  I still think it fits fine.  Right now I can cross the front pieces and wear it belted.  In the winter, I will be able to layer heavier items under it (and I will probably have gained some weight back by then).

2.  The sleeves are still a bit long.  I made them a 1/2 inch shorter than the pattern called for, but I think I could have taken off a full inch.  But, again, this leaves some room for layering.



I'm a bit surprised at how much I love this sweater.  Yes, Norah Gaughan's pattern is beautiful (they always are), but I was a bit worried about the color.  A few years ago I went into a local yarn store to buy yarn for my first sweater.  I wanted to make it in purple, but the store owner warned me against it.  She said, "Purple can go really Barney on you, really quick" in reference to the big purple dinosaur character.  Ever since then, I've shied away from knitting a full sweater in purple, thinking the garment and color might overpower me.

But in reality, I think the color can be easily managed and balanced.  I think I can wear this sweater with many things and a lot of other colors (maybe avoiding wearing head to toe purple).  I think it's a beautiful sweater design in a great color that I will wear a lot during the cooler months.  I'm happy :)

I've really enjoyed doing this knit-a-long.  It has been wonderful to meet and chat with the other knitters doing this KAL.  I've learned a lot and I am constantly amazed and inspired by their knitting projects :)



No comments:

Post a Comment