I came across this free Red Heart pattern, the Alice Blue Cardigan, and thought it was almost perfect. Just one major problem: the pattern's smallest size is a 36" chest which is a little too big for me. So, now I have a new project - to alter this Alice Blue Cardigan into a great fitting "classic cardigan".
First up: the yarn. I fell in love with this Jojoland Splatter Dash merino dk yarn in a beautiful variegated pink-rose-lilac color. This yarn is a little more pricey than I usually like to pay, but I wanted a pink cardigan and I love the subtle color change of this yarn that makes it a little more sophisticated and interesting than just your basic pink.
1. Change the rib hem to a tighter k2, p2 ribbing.
2. Knit this cardi in one piece to armpits, then break into front and back pieces.
3. Change the button band to garter stitch so I can knit it along with the rest of the sweater, instead of picking up stitches when I'm done. I like to have as little finishing as possible.
4. Cast on for my wider hips, but then add shaping to bring the chest down to 34".
5. To narrow the chest, I'm going to have to omit one column of lace detail on each side of this cardigan. I'm also going to probably raise the lace detail by not starting this design until I'm past my waist shaping.
I'll be posting my mods and photos as I go. To be honest, I haven't figured out the calculations for the lace yet, so I've got some work ahead of me. Wish me luck!