Monday, July 16, 2012

A few (knitted) projects around the house

We're slowly getting unpacked and settled in our new house.  And I'm glad that I had some time to knit a few things for our home.  These projects have become welcomed and useful additions.

First up - place mats for our kitchen table.  I'm still working on these.  I've completed three so far and want to make a set of six (we have six chairs). 

I've been all over the place with these place mats (no pun intended).  I started with the Woodsy Place Mat pattern, which I was lucky enough to tear out and keep from a Creative Knitting magazine my Mom found at the recycle center.  I love how this pattern looked in the Red Heart Fiesta I've been using, but after blocking these place mats shrunk and the edges got all wonky.  I was not a happy camper :(

I swatched a bunch of other patterns, but didn't find anything that I liked as much as these.  So, I re-knit them (again), but this time I added a garter border (5 rows on the bottom, 3 stitches on each side, and 4 rows on the top before binding off).   With the garter border they keep their shape much better.

Next, coasters - I've talked about these before, but you haven't see the wonderful thing I found to keep them in!

I have this little wood-fired ceramic cup from a pottery class I took a few years ago.  My six coasters fit perfectly in it, and I'm thinking  of making a couple more coasters if I have enough yarn left.

And finally, my knitted basket, also made from the pinwheel coaster pattern.  Once I finish my (never-ending) place mats, I plan to make another one of these baskets to cover a glass jar and hold my knitting needles.  I hope to use some self-stripeing yarn for the contrast color.
And then one future project - I have about 3/4 of a skein of cotton yarn left over from my latest sweater project.  I want to use this either to make a hand towel for my master bathroom or a couple of face cloths for my guest bathroom.  I'd certainly get more use out of a hand towel for my own bathroom (we don't have many guests), but if I make a few smaller cloths, I'll get to try a couple of different patterns (which would be fun).  What do you think I should do? 




No comments:

Post a Comment