Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Gift of Giving


Fall is traditionally a time when a lot of knitters' minds (and hands) turn to holiday gifts. For the past two years, I've knitted gifts for my family members, with mixed reactions. All in all, its safe to say my family are not great fans of handmade gifts.

So this year I've been using my stash to knit gifts to give to charity. And I've come across a new call for knitted goods, the Red Scarf Project. I am not a paid spokesperson for this organization, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I don't know anything more about it other than what I've read on their website, but it sounds like an interesting cause.

The Red Scarf Project is accepting red scarves (or scarves with red in them) to distribute to college students who have grown up in foster care. The scarves are distributed as part of a Valentine's Day care package for each student!

Scarves can be any shade of red and can include other colors. The finished scarf should be 5" to 8" wide and about 60" long. The organization only accepts scarf donations from September 1 to December 15 - perfect for fall knitting! For more information, visit their website at http://www.fc2success.org/how-you-can-help/red-scarf-project/.

I've decided to knit Cindy Bajema's Best Friend Scarf using some red Encore dk I picked up while on vacation.  I really like the simple lace pattern in the scarf and I hope it will be perfect for this donation.

Anyone have any favorite organizations that request charity knitting that they want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment