Thursday, April 19, 2012

A decision, finally (maybe)

Thank you to everyone for your kind words about my pink eyelet top, both here and on Ravelry.  A lot of you thought the finished top looked great, others supported my thoughts on frogging it and making something else.  After a couple of weeks of considering my options, I've (almost) decided to take it apart and make this beautful lace henley top from Knitty.  My plan is to change the neck to a crewneck and make the sleeves longer, maybe 3/4 length.

A couple of things have influenced my decision.  One, the eyelet top pattern called for way more yarn than I actually used, so I have 4 and half skeins of yarn left over. (I hate when a pattern calls for so much more yarn than you actually use - I mean, what's up with that?).  If I take apart the top and use the leftover yarn, I can knit up a full sweater with longer sleeves.

Two, the worsted weight yarn I used is very soft and comfortable, but still rather heavy for a sleeveless top.  It is unlikely that I could wear a heavy top in warmer weather, so a longer sleeved top for spring/fall might be a better use of this yarn.

from Banana Republic website
And three (most important), I've fallen in love with this sweater from Banana Republic.  I tried this sweater on in the store and loved it.  However, this pink color in person is more orangey (really, a bright coral color) and not great for my coloring.  Also the cotton of this sweater is a little scratchy on the skin.  If I change the Knitty lace henley to a crewneck and use my Knitpicks Comfy in that beautiful poesy color, I think I can create a very similar, if not more flattering, finished sweater.

So, that's the plan.  Maybe.  And unfortunately, my digital camera died just after I finished taking the photos of the eyelet top, so it might be a while until I can post any photos of this project.  If I decide to frog the eyelet top.  Which I think I will (probably) do.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment